Hi, I am a norwegian hunter.

Here is little corner for English-speaking hunters.
Vasta
jhgev

Hi, I am a norwegian hunter.

Postitus Postitas jhgev »

Hello!

I was lucky to find this forum when I was googeling hunting in Tallinn.

I`m a nowegian man, 30 years old, and I`m considering moving to Tallinn. I`ve got a job opportunity there, as the company where I work are starting a buissniss in Tallinn.
In norway, I spend alot of time hunting. Roe buck, fox, badger, elk, lynx and some birds.
Before I decide if I`ll move to Tallinn for a year or so, I need to know a little about the hunting opportunities aroud Tallinn. If I can`t hva the opportunity to hunt while I`m there, I think I`ll get a great deal of abstinence. I`m interested in all types of rifle hunting.

Is it easy to get access to hunting in the area? What is the normal price range? What kind of species do you have there? Any links to hunting providers?

I hope some of you can answer my questions.

I can`t read or speak Estonian, so if this is written under the wrong topic, I`m apologise.
(I was lucky to be able to register, it is not easy to find out what "fox" is called in Estonian) ;)

Best regards

Jørgen
Teras

Re: Hi, I am a norwegian hunter.

Postitus Postitas Teras »

fox is rebane and look also site
http://www.ejs.ee
that's a official site of Estonian Hunting Union or something like that
jyri

Postitus Postitas jyri »

Hi
If You`l have a job permission here,there will be no problem to join any hunting group or not,as You like.Also You have to fullfill some wiipon having/holding regulations,then You can hold Your guns stabilly here.Nothing complicated.
Welcome/
Pauli

Postitus Postitas Pauli »

You asked also about game species in Estonia. Well, we have them plenty: Roe Deer (in estonian - kits or sokk), Red Deer (but not in Tallinn region - lives only on islands and southern Estonia, in estonian - hirv), elk (põder), wild boar (siga), bear (unfortunately only with special permission, in estonian - karu), lynx (ilves), wolf (hunt), fox (rebane), badger (mäger), racoon dog (kährik), beaver (kobras) and birds. However, capercaillie and black grouse aren't in hunting list, but we have lots of geese (in estonian - hani, plural - haned).
To get access to hunting is generally very easy in Estonia, but price levels are different (the cheaper the harder to get like everywhere). Unfortunately web page of Estonian Hunters Society http://web.ejs.ee/ provides very few information in english, but check it anyway.
Ei, see ei ole Rio de Janeiro, see on hoopis midagi hullemat.
jhgev

Thank you for the answers. :D

I found some outfitters in the south. But only with guides. It would be nice to find somewhere you can hunt all by yourself. How long time does it take to drive form Tallinn to the south border?

And what caliber is the minimum to hunt roedeer and wild bore? I love my .243w for roe hunting. But is that caliber allowed on wild bore? We don`t have wild bore i norway so it would be fun to try some pig hunting :) And is it easy to get ammo for .243w i stores? Or is 308w easier to get?
I`ve read in an new EU-document that home made re-loaded ammo is hard to get on flights now, so i guess I`ll be depending on bying my ammo in estonia.

Jørgen
baddmann

Postitus Postitas baddmann »

Hi,

3-4 hours suicidal driving will be enough :D to reach Latvia already.

Roe deer requires minimum 22 Hornet and 222 Rem etc, so Your beloved .243 is more than enough (I have the same caliber a year already and love it). For wild boar and up You'll need at least 6,5 mm caliber and at least 9 g bullet, no joules counted (un)fortunately. 308 Win is by far the most common rifle caliber in Estonia, so ammo for it is sold everywere in spec. stores. 243 is gaining popularity, but You can't be sure to find it as easy as 308 and selection of bullets and manufacturers is not as wide.

Best regards,
BM

jhgev kirjutas:Thank you for the answers. :D

I found some outfitters in the south. But only with guides. It would be nice to find somewhere you can hunt all by yourself. How long time does it take to drive form Tallinn to the south border?

And what caliber is the minimum to hunt roedeer and wild bore? I love my .243w for roe hunting. But is that caliber allowed on wild bore? We don`t have wild bore i norway so it would be fun to try some pig hunting :) And is it easy to get ammo for .243w i stores? Or is 308w easier to get?
I`ve read in an new EU-document that home made re-loaded ammo is hard to get on flights now, so i guess I`ll be depending on bying my ammo in estonia.

Jørgen
jhgev

baddmann kirjutas:

3-4 hours suicidal driving will be enough :D to reach Latvia already.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ok, guess I`ll bring both barrels then.. ;)

Is there any regulations with use of silencer in Estonia?
baddmann

Postitus Postitas baddmann »

Silencer is unfortunately illegal for hunting in Estonia at this moment. It can be used in shooting ranges, but I guess its not worth it for the paperwork You'll have to deal for importing this piece (I can be wrong about this though). We have an on-going legistlative process, so perhaps starting from January 1st 2011 silencer can be legally used for hunting as well.

BM
Pauli

Hunting all by yourself, without a guide is a bit tricky. Thats because estonians is xenophobic nation (rough history) and believe stolidly in poaching. Every stranger (foreigner or from neighbouring village - no difference) is treated like a potential criminal. The trick is to make friends: if you are invited to hunting (instead of buying a hunting licence or service) whole situation turns 180 degrees: you'll become part of a family and are allowed to do (almost) whatever you want.
jhgev

Baddmann: Too bad. In noway it`s now common with a silencer, it saves your hearing ability alot! I just have to bring some hearing protection then :) But I can se your point of poaching, some years ago you got suspicious looks when you came to the shootingrange with a silencer in norway too.

Mosse: I guess I`ll have to make some hunting-friedns realy fast then! ;) Is it hard to make frieds with estonian for a norweagian guy?
I havent decided to move to Tallinn yet, but I have to make a decision within a couple of weeks. I have a 7 week old daughter, and that makes it difficult to decide what to do :?

btw: Is there any shooting ragnes near Tallinn?

It is hard to find outfitters in estonia by googeling, but i found this one http://www.wildhunt.ee, and http://www.rmk.ee/subject-headings/hunting

Anyone who can recommend someone else?
pano

Postitus Postitas pano »

The nearest shooting ragne to tallinn is in männiku.
Koertega on jaht!!!
jhgev

How far is that?

Edit: Found it on a map. not far... thank you!
Kasutaja avatar
Olgerd

Postitus Postitas Olgerd »

jhgev kirjutas:Mosse: I guess I`ll have to make some hunting-friedns realy fast then! ;) Is it hard to make frieds with estonian for a norweagian guy?
I havent decided to move to Tallinn yet, but I have to make a decision within a couple of weeks. I have a 7 week old daughter, and that makes it difficult to decide what to do :?

You should hook up with someone from this forum, who is living/hunting next to Tallinn. That would be a good start, so this "someone" could introduce you our hunting culture, laws, nature etc. Hunting as a tourist is really expensive in Estonia, so i suggest you make some friends instead and first go together with them and if you planning to stay in Estonia you could become part of some hunting group instead.
Pauli

I think a norwegian will be accepted quite easily - characters should match (nordic people afterall). Have you met finnish people? Estonians are quite the same (or even more sanguine :wink: ) - two most commonly used words in conversation are "mhmh" and "aha", each about 10 times a day :D .
Vasta